The infield consists of the diamond and the adjacent space in which the infielders (see below) normally play. The outfield is the remaining space between the baselines and between the outfield fence and the infield. The infield is usually “skinned” (dirt), while the outfield has grass in regulation competitions.
Is a softball field called a diamond?
The infield is a square called a diamond. There is a base at each corner: first base, second base, third base and home plate. The pitching distance is measured from the rear point of the home plate to the front edge of the pitchers plate.
Is a softball field the same as a baseball field?
The Field of Play
Although the exact sizes can differ somewhat depending upon the player’s ages, softball fields are smaller than those used for baseball. … Although they are laid out in the exact same format, the bases in softball are 60 feet apart whereas baseball bases are 90 feet apart.
What are the outfield positions in softball?
There are three outfielders, and their positions are called right fielder, centre fielder, and left fielder. The outfielders are positioned outside the area marked by the four bases (infield square), with the right one standing closest to first base.
What are the terms in softball?
- Strike- A pitch that is hit in the strike zone, or the batter swung at the ball, but missed. …
- Foul Ball- A ball that is hit outside the baselines, behind the backstop, behind home plate, or inside the batters box.
- Steal- the advantage of stealing (going from 1 base to another) a base when the ball is not hit.
What is the most dangerous position in softball?
Re: What is the most dangerous position on the field?
- Batters and pitchers had the highest absolute number of injuries due to impact with a batted ball in games.
- A total of 22% of the total game injuries to pitchers occurred from batted balls, and about one third of game injuries to third basemen involved batted balls.
10 февр. 2010 г.
What are the 10 positions in softball?
Those numbers are: 1 — pitcher; 2 — catcher; 3 — 1st base; 4 — 2nd base; 5 — 3rd base; 6 — shortstop; 7 — left field; 8 — center field; 9 — right field; 10 — extra outfielder.
Is softball a girl sport?
The conventional wisdom is that baseball is for boys and men, and softball is for girls and women. … Softball, though, is a completely distinct sport, with different pitching — underhand — and different equipment, including a larger ball.
What are 5 differences between softball and baseball?
A pitcher in baseball throws the ball overhand and a pitcher in softball throws the ball underhand. Baseball pitchers throw from an elevated mound. Softball pitchers throw from a surface level with that of the batter. The softball pitching area is much closer to the batter than the baseball pitching area.
What are the three sizes of balls that are used in softball?
What Are the Three Sizes of Balls That Are Used in Softball?
- 11 inches. The 11-inch ball is used in fast-pitch softball. It is two inches larger than a baseball. …
- 12 inches. The 12-inch ball is the standard for slow-pitch softball. The ball is a little softer than the 11-inch version. …
- 16 inches. The 16-inch softball is used when the game is played without gloves.
What’s the easiest position in softball?
Catcher. Field your weakest defensive player at catcher. The position is the easiest to play in slow pitch softball. Pitches come in high and slow and are not difficult to handle.
What is the best position to play in softball?
The best position to play in softball is usually the shortstop position given that the shortstop is usually the team’s most versatile and quickest player. That position tends to have the most responsibilities and most amount of action per game.
What is the most important position in softball?
The most important positions in a team are the pitcher and catcher. A good pitcher can have a significant impact on a game and a good catcher controls all defensive plays.
What does P mean in softball?
Position POS Abbreviation Pitcher 1 P Catcher 2 C First Baseman 3 1B Second Baseman 4 2B Third Baseman 5 3B Shortstop 6 SS Left. Page 1.
What are the basic skills in softball?
Playing softball competitively or recreationally requires a set of basic skills which include catching, throwing, fielding, hitting and base running.
What does OTF mean in softball?
ez_softball. Apr 26, 2018.